The Children, Young People, Families, Early Intervention and Adult Learning and Empowering Communities Fund
About the Children, Young People, Families, Early Intervention and Adult Learning and Empowering Communities Fund
Lloyds TSB Foundation for Scotland is working in partnership with the Scottish Government to administer and manage the Scottish Government’s Children, Young People and Families Early Intervention Fund and Adult Learning and Empowering Communities Fund (CYPFEIF and ALEC Fund).
The CYPFEIF aspect of the Fund aims to improve outcomes for children, young people and their families. The key components of the CYPFEIF Fund are:
- Promote the GIRFEC wellbeing indicators and the implementation of the UNCRC.
- Delivery of prevention and early intervention activities.
- Improving parenting capacity and family support.
The ALEC element of the Fund supports third sector organisations to deliver outcomes that improve opportunities for adult learning and building community capacity. The primary objectives of the ALEC fund are:
- Prevention and early intervention through adult learning and community capacity building.
- Supporting the delivery of lifelong, learner-centred adult learning as outlined in the Adult Learning in Scotland Statement of Ambition.
- Using asset based approaches to work with adult learners or with communities to plan and co-design learning or capacity building opportunities.
The core funding awards were announced by the Scottish Government in December 2015, with £14 million allocated to third sector organisations for 2016/17. Further to this, the Scottish Government announced an additional £2 million in Project Funding. The Project Funding will be available for charities supporting children, young people, families and adult learning.
CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund 2017 Announcement
The Scottish Government have announced details of the funding awards for organisations being supported through the CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund, including the core funding and project funds.
You can access the Scottish Government press release here: £15 million for families and communities – CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund
Details of the organisations, projects and the amounts awarded can be found using the links below:
- Core Fund: Click here to view organisations being supported through the CYPFEIF & ALEC Core Fund 2017/18
- Project Fund: Click here to view projects receiving funding through the CYPFEIF & ALEC Project Fund 2017-19
See below for more general information on the CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund.
Through the CYPFEIF and ALEC Fund the Scottish Government has awarded £14 million in 2016-17 to 116 organisations that aim to support children, families and communities across Scotland. The allocations were confirmed in December 2015 and the core funding will run from March 2016 – March 2019.
Working in partnership with the Scottish Government, Lloyds TSB Foundation for Scotland will administer and manage the CYPFEIF and ALEC Fund. Lloyds TSB Foundation for Scotland will support the funded organisations with the delivery of their work. In addition, core funded organisations will have a lead policy contact in Scottish Government or Education Scotland. This will provide a link between on the ground practice and policy developments.
The work supported through the CYPFEIF and ALEC Fund aligns with Scottish Government priorities across nine different policy areas.
- Parenting, Play and Family Support
- Early Learning and Childcare
- Looked After Children
- Children’s rights and well-being
- Child protection
- Child Health
- Adult Learning and Empowering Communities
- Youth work
- Gender based violence
To find out more about the organisations supported through the CYPFEIF and ALEC core funding please follow the links below.
Support and Engagement Programme
The Support and Engagement programme: Support for organisations receiving CYPFEIF & ALEC core and infrastructure funding.
Throughout the 3-year CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund, organisations receiving core and infrastructure funding will have the opportunity to engage in our Support and Engagement Programme. This programme will include a number of activities and will aim to support organisations and their staff team to deliver their work successfully, make a positive difference to those they work with and support and also strengthen the Third Sector to increase the effectiveness of services and policies that prioritise prevention and early intervention.
As a grant-making organisation, Lloyds TSB Foundation for Scotland works hard to deliver more than just funding support to organisations and their staff team. Following this approach to capacity building through the CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund, we will give organisations the opportunity to engage in and receive support beyond their Core Fund award over the 3-year period.
This programme will include an Annual CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund Conference, a series of learning and development workshops, 1-2-1 on-going support, peer support and networking sessions and information and resource sharing. There will also be links to other sources of support, including local and national provision.
To view the Support and Engagement programme for 2016-2017 please click here
To view the CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund timeline of activity for 2017-2018 please click here
The first CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund Annual Conference: Exploring Organisational sustainability will take place on March 1st 2017. To view the full conference agenda please click here
For more information about the Support and Engagement programme, please contact a member of the CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund team on 0131 444 4030.
Through the CYPFEIF & ALEC project fund, the Scottish Government have awarded funding to 30 innovative projects designed to improve the lives of young people and families. These projects will be delivered between April 2017 and March 2019.
- Click here to view projects receiving funding through the CYPFEIF & ALEC Project Fund 2017-19
- Click here for the Scottish Government press release
Please note, the deadline for applications to the CYPFEIF & ALEC project fund was 30th September and the online application is now closed.
- Closing date for applications – 30 September 2016
- Funding announcements – end 2016
- Projects start – from April 2017
Links to External Resources, Support Agencies and additional Funding Sources
General Support and Guidance
Grant Makers and Sources of Funding
Social Enterprise support and Training
Evaluation Support Scotland:
- Setting Outcomes
- Developing a Logical Model
- Developing and Using Indicators
- More tools, resources and Support Guides on Monitoring and Evaluation are available here.
Improvement Methodology is a framework to help organisations plan, development and improve their work. We hosted an introduction to this methodology to help organisations consider how this might support their project and its impact.
To access the Improvement Methodology webinar, click here: Introduction to Improvement Methodology, 12 August – Webinar Recording
Outcomes and Indicators
Developing outcomes and indicators is a vital consideration when planning potential pieces of work. This session looks at how organisations can develop outcomes and indicators as part of their project.
The webinar is available here: Understanding Outcomes and Indicators, 16 August – Webinar Recording
Children’s Rights and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC)
This webinar aims to raise awareness of the UNCRC for organisations and their staff as part of their CYPFEIF & ALEC Fund work.
To access the recording of the webinar, click here: Raising Awareness of the UNCRC – 18 January – Webinar Recording
Please note, due to some technical issues experienced during the webinar, the recording starts 8-minutes into the webinar and there were some brief, intermittent sound issues during the session.
Resources on Children’s Rights:
- Scottish Government Children’s Rights webpage, including the Scottish Government response to the UNCRC List of Issues for UK
- Support materials on Children’s Rights, including training and guidelines
- Common Core of Skills, Knowledge & Understanding and Values for the “Children’s Workforce” In Scotland